jessicaveter.com

Pages

Monday 21 January 2013

Mailbox Monday

The rust adds rural authenticity.

An infectious idea begun by Marcia at Mailbox Monday and hosted in January by Lori's Reading Corner.

This week, courtesy of the library in delightful Dundas, Ontario:

Bloomsbury 2005
The magical house in Drift House got me thinking about that other moving house, Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones, so we had to bring it home. I have yet to get my hands on it as it's being devoured by my 10-year-old son. His verdict so far? A distracted, 'Cool', and a return to the book.

Thomas Nelson, 2009

Batson's sixth book and Hopper's third, this is the first book in the Berinfell Prophesies. There are spiders on the cover being ridden by knights, and the word Elves appears on the back cover. That was enough for my eldest. It won the Moonbeam Children's Book Award in 2009, an award which recognises fantastic children's books and their creators, promotes literacy and life-long learning.

Daw 2011, 2012

Gleefully anticipating a real sink-your-teeth in read, I picked up Benjamin Tate's two books. Well of Sorrows is his debut novel and uses American colonisation as a back-drop and then throws in all those lovely fantasy images I love. Leaves of Flame is the sequel. I intend a weekend, a bottle of wine and p.j.'s provided I win that all-inclusive vacation the kind computer-generated lady promised me over the phone the other day.

Deckle Edge, 2011

 In an effort to shake off my obsession with sci fi/fantasy, I began a book club in our area and February's book is The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje. I know exactly what will happen. I will read the book, I will love it, and I will wonder why I don't read him more often. His control of the language is a wondrous thing; he evokes more in the silence between words (not my line, wish it was) than most people do with a forest of letters.

What bundle(s) of joy arrived in your house this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment