jessicaveter.com

Pages

Monday 11 February 2013

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday is hosted this month by Unabridged Chick.

Rustic, or rusty? So long as it contains BOOKS.

I have been burning up the bandwidth this week exploring the delightful world of online Journals and Literary Magazines.

Sterling
Published twice yearly by Pens and Hammer Press, Sterling is edited by David Bester and Vincenzo Aliberti. It publishes short fiction, poetry, interviews and plays. It is currently accepting submissions for Sterling 4. I wish it a long and prosperous career. The writing in #3 was lush, lively and entertaining. Available as a e-version or, for the reasonable price of $12, a gorgeous print version will arrive in your post box! #3's cover was designed by Martin Bregman.

Beneath Ceaseless Skies
Edited by Scott Andrews and Kate Marshall, Beneath Ceaseless Skies is going to be a regular in my house. #113, with stories by Tori Truslow and Raphael Ordonez, kept me glued to my sofa throughout most of Friday's snowstorm. This afternoon will see me glued to my earphones to listen to an audio podcast called 'Death Sent' by Christain K. Martinez. The magazine has won numerous awards and is highly recommended.

It's like we've gone full circle, isn't it?




 Having gone into deep mourning at reaching the end of BBC's Sherlock (series 2), I have no choice but to begin reading the omnibus edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes that has been sitting in my library for...a long time (*blushes*). My omnibus does not contain A Study in Scarlet (the first case Holmes and Watson work on together), so it was off to the virtual store with my Kindle. The novel was written in 1886 and published the following year in Beeton's Christmas Annual. It caused very little stir when it was published, which goes to show that one should never give up at the first failure. Unlike a lot of fiction written in the 19th century, A. Conan Doyle remains very readable and entertaining to a modern audience.

2 comments:

  1. It's been years since I've read that one. I did recently re-read Hound of the Baskervilles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving it. I wish I had it in a facsimile edition, though. I prefer the 'full sensory experience'.

      Delete