jessicaveter.com

Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2017

All Good Art....



I've been struggling a bit.

Part of my 2017 business plan is to post every week, no matter what. I want to use this as a place to think and reflect on what I've been doing and what I have yet to do. My plan was to keep track of my professional progress so at the end of 2017 I would have a record I could look back to.

So, yeah, something just for me, and if anyone stumbles across it and finds it interesting I would chalk that up as a win.

But since the US inauguration, I've been practically paralysed.

On Monday I lost an entire MORNING to social media. I've got three kids and a 'To Do' list up to here. I don't have an entire morning to waste like that. But I just could not tear myself away from my newsfeeds.

I have managed to find a balance by not following the news organisations which took up most of my time (incidently, the ones that made me feel most justified in my feelings). I am in the process of deciding how I want to take a stand for what I believe in: the groups I want to support and how I want to do that.

Mostly, I have returned to my work.

What inspired me was coming across a quote by Toni Morrison. It's one I have heard before, but I get it now. Now when I feel overwhelmed by sadness and hopelessness, I will remind myself of this. And I will work my ass off to make my art the best I can. And then some.




No comments:

Post a Comment