jessicaveter.com

Pages

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Guilty!

If your life looks like this, perhaps it's time to rethink.
Last week a woman who'd known me for six hours told me I take on too much.

I countered by listing off my few commitments. When I reached a third hand's worth of fingers, I began to wonder if she had a point.

So last night I joined a new craft guild, offered to be their co-chair and to plant a portion of my vegetable garden with spring wheat for a special craft day in July.

I woke up three times during the night with a panic attack.

Why do I do this to myself? Why do any of us? Why is it so damn hard to be good to ourselves and say no?

Is it because I want so much to be liked? Because I have a pathological need to, forgive me, take care of everyone except myself? Because I think NO ONE can (insert activity here) as well as I can?

Does 'why' even matter? Fact is, when you say 'yes' to everyone but yourself, a roomful of Lego is the least of your problems. If there's so much writing on your calendar that you can't actually identify the month, you may want to do what I've decided to do.

Start saying 'no'. Pare down your commitments to those that really matter, to those volunteer positions that you find rewarding and enjoyable, to those activities that build you up rather than breaking you down.

And sleep well.

1 comment:

  1. I have in the past taken on too much at once, and particularly when I was dealing with a lot of stress to begin with. It didn't help.

    ReplyDelete